TAP recently formed a team of Turnaround Coordinators at the Lisbon Hub. Their job is to ensure the safety, punctuality and quality of TAP’s service.
Jordi Pi, Director of the Lisbon Hub, explained, “Turnaround Coordinators are specially trained and are responsible for the aircraft’s turnaround. They are authorised to make decisions to speed up processes and facilitate coordination between everyone involved, as already happens on the air bridge (Ponte Aérea), with highly positive results.”
The team will be working on certain flights and routes: Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Paris, Funchal, London, Boston, Newark and Porto, plus any flights that are identified as critical
The job of a Turnaround Coordinator basically entails:
• Ensuring punctuality, a safety culture and quality of service to TAP clients
• Conducting a pre-flight analysis: making a turnaround plan for each flight and briefing the heads of the different teams involved in the turnaround
• Ensuring that human and material resources are in position before the arrival of the aircraft
• Communicating with the crew, gate, ramp, catering and HCC, among others, so as to pro-actively identify critical situations, and reduce delays and facilitate relations between all involved
• Coordinating with the Transfer Manager on the status of passengers and baggage in transit
• Coordinating and recording correct performance of the services hired and any changes in the turnaround plan and ensuring compliance with the service level agreements that TAP has with its different service providers
• Ensuring that the crew receives the flight documentation at the right times
• Reporting any safety or security incidents to the departments in charge for later analysis and improvements
• Guaranteeing that aircraft are closed in accordance with safety procedures, also avoiding unnecessary energy costs
• Clarifying reasons for delays in coordination with HCC
• Supervising and coordinating baggage handling with the terminal, with special focus on baggage irregularities.
In the video below, Turnaround Coordinator Susete Ferreira explains first-hand what everyday work is like for her and her team.