19h30 o´clock, Portuguese hour on a sunny wednesday when four lions born in Lisbon Zoo left their home for a new life. Two days later, it was midday when they came in new habitat soaking up the sun, already in Brazil.
TAP accompanied the entire process, far beyond the flight, and showed in this video how everything happens.
Because there are details that are at risk of being lost, are some pictures and curiosities about the Lions and their trip, from Lisbon to Pomerode.
Curiosities about the trip
• The lions were not sedated or reassured for the trip. In accordance with the Rui Bernardino, veterinary doctor from Lisbon Zoo, the fact that traveling together, i.e., not isolated, gives animals a greater security.
• During the flight TP87 between Lisbon and Sao Paulo, were quite audible in the cabin the roars of lions. The passengers were not aware of the transport, therefore not understood what was happening, but the crew were immediately the sound of passengers that traveled in the basement.
• The transport of animals between São Paulo and Pomerode, State of Santa Catarina (Brazil) took about 10 hours, despite the distance travelled was only 600 kilometers.
• At midday the four lions were officially presented to the public in the Zoo of Pomerode. One of them, however, did not want to leave soon and only joined the brothers when they called him.
• The transport between Lisbon and Sao Paulo was done on A340 of TAP Fernão Mendes Pinto.
Curiosities about the Lion of Angola
• These were the first lions of its sub-species to reach the American continent. Before that, apart from their natural habitat african, existed only in zoos in Europe, more precisely, 74 Lions spread over 18 institutions.
• This subspecies (Panthera leo bleyenberghi) is distinguished, for example, by its mane, clearer than the other subspecies.
• The Lion of Angola is a vulnerable species, according to the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).
This article has been automatically translated. For additional information, please contact us